Jobs at Darkroom
We currently looking for front-end iOS Engineers.
Mobile devices are the most important shift in photography since the advent of the digital camera. Join us in building the creative tools for this new era.
We are a small team of photographers, designers and developers who love working on convenient creative tools. We are building an independent business that is honest about its commitments, and a place for creative engineers to thrive.
Because we are bootstrapped, our incentives are aligned with the photographers we are trying to serve, not with investors who want a big return.
By focusing on real problems faced by real people, we’ve been able to thrive and offer market-rate salaries.
We have held ourselves to the highest standards, and have been recognized by Apple with an Apple Design Award, Best of the App Store, App of the Day, Editor’s Choice, and more.
We are constantly trying to improve our infrastructure and keep it fresh and up to date so we can maintain our position at the forefront of Apple’s technologies.
Building an Apple Design Award-winning app across iPhone, iPad, and the Mac requires passion for design, technical chops and a deep attention to detail. We build Darkroom following a highly iterative design & implementation process. We are looking for someone to help us build our expanding product as we add depth and richness to the Darkroom experience, while maintaining our ultra-high bar for usability, design, and performance.
We offer a great environment to hone your tech skills, passionate team members to collaborate with, flexible work schedule, and a generous PTO policy.
Our hiring process is considerably streamlined: no silly whiteboard tests nor take home assignments from us! Just a few interviews with some key team members and you are ready to go!
- You love mobile photography and think it’s at the center of how we will creatively express ourselves as people, friends, artists, and professionals in the future. You believe the tools we use have a big impact on the art we create.
- You have deep experience building and shipping rich product experiences on frequently updated business critical iOS or macOS apps.
- You enjoy closely collaborating with designers to prototype, implement, and iterate on delightful product experiences. And have an eye for design and interaction details.
- You have experience with, and appreciate a true remote-first company (accross multiple countries and timezones), collaboration and communication. And live somewhere between the European and US timezones. And are able to travel 3 times a year to meetup with year team mates in person.
- You have an opinion about how the product and features should work and look.
- You are willing to learn new topics, aren't afraid of image processing, machine learning.
- You can deliver solutions in collaboration with other engineers or independently, depending on the scope and schedule of the project.
- You are able to own technical projects end-to-end from initial research to launch.
- You can independently come up with and suggest your own solutions to technical problems.
- You are able to deliver consistently good, readable, maintainable and testable code.
- You have a strong familiarity, 5 years or more, with UIKit, Swift and Objective-C.
- You are able to interface with back-end code, ranging from Swift, Objective-C and C++.
- You are able to think at a high level about data modeling and flow.
- You have experience building internal infrastructure and tooling.
We value your time as much as we do ours, so we try and keep the process efficient and keep momentum. We think interviews should be as much about us getting to know you as well as you getting to know us, as such we make sure to prepare ourselves, and really value people that have good questions for us as well. We do our best to go from application to planning interviews within a week, from interviews to offer in about a week as well.
- Application review — Every week we review all applications, after which we will send out an email letting you know if we want to proceed with setting up interviews
- Screening call — We like to have a 45 min. introductory call to give context on Darkroom, our plans, our team, clarify any questions we might have on your application, ask you about what you are looking for and general availability, and answer any initial questions you might have.
- 2 Interviews — We plan two 45 min. deep dive interviews. One focussed on engineering, one on product thinking. We structure these interviews by doing introductions, jump into the deep dives, and leave some time at the end to answer questions you might have.
- Offer call — After the above interviews all the people that have met you make a decision together. When all goes well we will contact you and make you an offer, which we obviously hope you will accept!
- Onboarding — For anybody joining the team we make a plan for your first week (setup and orientation), first month (first small project, project familiarity), and first three months (first big project, ownership) and make sure to clearly discuss it with you.
We will provide
- Making you part of the conversation. Everything we discuss in the company is open for your contribution. From the business, to the product, to the way we run the company.
- A professional, no-drama, product-focused work environment.
- Market rate salary.
- A flexible paid-time-off policy (at a minimum, we all take multiple weeks off for summer holiday and around Christmas).
- Tri-annual week long company all-hands (all expenses paid trip to meet and work with your coworkers in one place, somewhere around the world).
- Profit sharing (we're growing very quickly and need your help to maintain our growth and share in that reward).
We expect you to…
- Be able to write and express yourself clearly in English.
- Be available for a few hours during the work week to overlap with our teams in Los Angeles and Amsterdam (Early morning PST, early evening CET).
- Be able to independently and pro-actively manage your workload, and manage expectations to others on the team.
Importantly, we are currently missing the voices of more diverse people who could make our company even better. We highly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented groups to apply for our open positions. We value an environment that empowers individuality, empathy, and innovation, and we’re looking forward to what you’ll bring to the table.
If this all sounds like the kind of work you're looking forward to and you see yourself in one of our job openings above, please apply!
We look forward to talking to you.