All our new features, fixes & improvements. Thank you, to everybody whom has reported issues, and suggested features on our suggestion board!
Darkroom 6.3.7Mar 22 '23
Added integration for ProShot camera by Rise Up Games. Tap the ProShot icon at left top of the Library if you have it installed to quickly switch to it. And with their update, quickly open and edit a photo in Darkroom from within ProShot after capture.
Darkroom 6.3.6Mar 15 '23
- Dramatically improved the rendering performance across the board, but particularly on macOS. The biggest improvement can we experienced while moving sliders interactively.
- Improved several of our localization and translations.
- Fixed Darkroom unintentionally asking for photo access directly on startup.
- Added a close button to the camera app settings view.
Darkroom 6.3.4Feb 19 '23
- Fixed an issue on macOS Venture where the window size would not restored when closing the window.
- The Background Blur slider has been temporarily removed, when editing new Portrait Depth Photos.
- If you wish to change the blur in the meantime, you can do so in the Apple Photos app.
- Background Blur is still available when editing existing Portrait Depth Photos.
- This change should decrease the chance of a crash when exporting Portrait photos for many people.
Darkroom 6.3.3Jan 28 '23
- Fixed an issue where keyboard shortcuts would occasionally stop working on macOS.
- Updated some of our partner camera app names and icons.
Darkroom 6.3.2Jan 15 '23
- Added a new option in settings to control your preferred Camera App for quick access from the photo library.
- Fixed a crash that was affecting some specific devices.
Darkroom 6.3December 12 '22Read Release Post
Color Grading comes to Darkroom
Today, we're excited to announce the addition of Color Grading as a new Darkroom+ feature, unlocking opportunities for creative expression that were previously impossible in Darkroom. It's an essential tool to give your photos and videos a distinct style and for making presets. Oh, and it's also our first new top-level tool since Frames in 2018!
With the four Color Grading wheels, you can now adjust the overall tone of your photo or video by changing the color, saturation, and luminance globally, or in your highlights, midtones, or shadows. It's remarkable how far you can go in creating unique stylistic looks only using this new Darkroom+ tool.
Darkroom 6.2.3November 20 '22
- Added ReeXpose camera integration. Quickly tap the ReeXpose icon at left top of the Library if you have it installed. And with their 1.4 update, quickly open and edit a photo in Darkroom from ReeXpose after capture.
- We have been hard at work to improve the general stability of the app.
- Improved memory usage for older devices with less available memory.
- Improved memory usage when editing RAW images.
- Improved memory usage when navigating between images.
- Fixed edits occasionally being applied twice when restoring edits.
- Fixed the Image menu accidentally missing on Mac.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when exporting assets.
- Improved restoration of previously made purchases.
- Improved icons throughout the app to even better visually explain their action.
Darkroom 6.2.2November 11 '22
This update reduces the amount of memory used when initializing RAW images, and improves how we use memory to ensure smooth and consistent rendering results.
Darkroom 6.2.1November 6 '22
- Added Fjorden camera integration. Quickly tap the Fjorden icon at left top of the Library if you have it installed. And with their recent 1.4 update, quickly open and edit a photo in Darkroom from Fjorden after capture.
- Fix an issue where exporting RAW photos using the HEIF format generates a green thumbnail and a corrupted image when using iMessage.
- Removed the double swipe to switch to another app or go to the Home Screen when editing a photo. Now you can just directly swipe away.
- Shared Community presets can now be exported by Legacy customers.
- Improved performance of scrolling through the library.
- Fixed color masks not working for RAW and Depth photos.
- Fixed an issue with loading of RAW image that where already exported.
- Moved the purchase and membership option up in setting to make them more accessible.
- Fixed a crash when trying to select photos to edit in Limited Access mode.
Darkroom 6.2November 3 '22Read Release Post
State of the Art Highlight and Shadow Recovery
Today, we’re releasing a major upgrade to our exposure recovery sliders that dramatically improves their recovery range and refines the result. This enables a whole new set of creative effects in Darkroom that were simply out of reach previously.
Five sliders in Darkroom have been rebuilt from the ground up: Exposure, Whites, Highlights, Shadows, and Blacks. These enhancements are available for all image types, though they are particularly powerful for RAW editing workflows, since RAW photos have a lot more detail to recover.
- Fixed thumbnails showing green artifacts in the Photos app when exporting ProRAW images to HEIF on iOS 16.
- Improved general performance, that should help increase stability and reliability.
- Fixed a bug where photos appeared stuck loading and didn’t report any error properly.
- Fixed a bug where rotating an image resulted in a stretched-out preview in the library and during transitions.
- Fixed a common crash that would occur specifically on older devices.
- Dramatically reduced the size of the image cache we store on device.
- We added three new icons to celebrate this release: Shadow, Holo, and Album.
- We removed the Photo Editing Extension. This means you can no longer use Darkroom to make edits within the Photos app. For more details, please read the announcement about this release on our website.
Darkroom 6.1October 13 '22Read Release Post
Share your presets from Darkroom
You can now share your custom presets with anyone quickly and easily using a simple link. Select the preset you want to share, tap on it again (•••) to view its options and you'll find the new “Share” button. From the share sheet, you'll be able to share a link to anyone, whether they have Darkroom installed or not. Anyone with your link can preview and install your presets with a tap. That's pretty much it! There are no files to manage, host, download or import. It couldn't be simpler or more flexible.
- Renamed Filters to Presets, the tool is now also called the Preset tool.
- Improved how we cache thumbnails in Darkroom. We now generate much smaller images for caching, saving you disk space, and enhancing memory load and performance as well.
- Fixed a crash when attempting to grant Darkroom Limited Photo Library Access.
- Fixed the brightness and/or exposure sliders being hidden behind the mask controls on certain devices.
- Fixed unintended layout animations for the main toolbar and masks bar.
- Fixed the Export button appearing to be hidden on certain devices when editing a photo.
- Fixed the flag or reject badges sometimes not showing when viewing a photo.
- Updated how Settings look on to ensure they look more up-to-date with the latest iterations of iOS and iPadOS.
Darkroom 6.0.9October 4 '22
- Fixed seams or lines showing when editing or exporting a portrait photo with a subject mask.
- Fixed a common crash caused by a memory leak during long usage sessions.
- Improved performance when navigating from photo to photo.
- Fixed a visual issue with the Grain app icon variant showing black along the edges.
- Fixed layout regressions on several devices.
- Removed the “Hidden” smart album on latest version of iOS, as it is no longer supported.
- Removed the ability to tap the “LIVE” photo badge to play back video from a Live Photo.
- Fixed a minor layout issue for the Mac Preferences window.
- Improved Mac window resizing performance in the library.
Darkroom 6.0.8August 20 '22
- Fixed a bug wherein the trial prompt appeared when not using any premium features.
Darkroom 6.0.7August 18 '22
- Added mirroring support for external displays and Airplay, for your iPad and iPhone.
- Added scroll-to-top support when tapping on the header on iPhone when in an album.
- Moved Selective Copy & Paste Options
- We added an explicit option on all devices to access "Copy Edits Selectively" from the photo action menu (•••), as an additional option next to "Copy Edits".
- On iPad and iPhone you now have to tap-and-hold the Copy option in the History tool to show the Copy Options.
- On iPad and Mac we updated the keyboard shortcust, ⌘ C (command + C) performs simple copy, and ⌘ ⇧ C (command + shift + C) performs selective copy.
- Added the camera make and model to the metadata viewer.
- Updated the Batch bar showing the Unhide option (instead of the Hide option) in the Hidden album.
- Fixed image previews showing positioned above or below from where the should be when swiping between photos.
- Fixed the paywall on Mac not closing on a succesful purchase restore.
- Fixed a minor layout issue with the Masks bar.
- Fixed a top crash.
Darkroom 6.0.6July 16 '22
- Fixed a bug causing paywall to pop up to existing Darkroom+ users on export.
Darkroom 6.0.5July 12 '22
- Fixed an issue with crop being applied twice in certain edge cases.
- Fixed the bug causing the original unedited photo to be shown in the wrong dimensions, after being cropped.
- Fixed a cropped image sometimes showing at un-cropped dimensions, causing the image to be stretched.
- Fixed cropped and exported image appearing stretched when starting editing, until you move a slider.
- Fixed exporting from the library not properly marking photo as exported.
- Fixed the progress indicator at times hiding too soon, making it appear as if the crop/transform tool was unresponsive.
- Fixed an issue that would result in restored edits not being applied.
- Added the Depth Range mask in the new iPhone quick mask options bar.
- Fixed the bug causing the quick mask options to appear unintentionally when scrolling down.
- Fixed some minor layout issues with the Masks control bar.
- Fixed a bug resulting in Darkroom occasionally crashing while running in the background.
Darkroom 6.0.4June 27 '22
- On iPhone you can now create masks quicker without having to open the “+” menu, using the new quick mask bar.
- Masks can now be duplicated, from the mask actions. Note, this doesn’t duplicate the edits, only the mask properties.
- Fixed a bug that appeared on iOS 15.5 where the background of the photo preview had a light yellow tint in light mode, and a dark green tint in dark mode.
- Fixed several bugs where edits would be reset if you where viewing the original unedited version of a photo.
- Fixed several Portrait photo and Depth mask released crashes and bugs.
- Fixed Live Photos exporting without mask adjustments.
- Fixed a crash that could occur using the frame tool after exporting.
Darkroom 6.0.3May 18 '22
- Loading photos and smart masks is faster.
- Fixed an issue where some edits where not being applied when exporting a photo from batch actions or photo action menu.
- We also fixed exposure and brightness edits on RAW photos not exporting when batch applies using selective copy/paste.
- Fixed an issues that would cause the histogram to not consistently show and hide when it should.
- The red mask overlay is now properly positioned after adjusting perspective and or orientation.
- Fixed the file type badge staying visible when it should be hidden when also hiding the interface.
Darkroom 6.0.2May 9 '22
- Fixed an error when exporting using HEIF on iOS 14.
- Fixed a top crasher.
- Fixed aspect crop being lost when naivigating to another photo.
- Fixed showing origina in the Transformm tool causing all edits to be cleared.
- Fixed an issue where frames would not be added in the expected color on export when inset is set on export.
Darkroom 6.0.1April 22 '22
- Fixed a bug causing luminance and hue range masks to affect unexpected areas of the photo.
- Fixed a crash that would sometimes happen when dismissing mask editing or deleting a mask.
- Fixed a bug with Filters where intensity level would not affect mask edits.
- Improved the experience and performance of moving and resizing radial and linear masks.
- Fixed luminance range masks not affecting expected areas when editing videos.
- Fixed a bug causing the app to crash while editing masks, often happening when changing the feather of a radial mask.
- Fixed an issue causing the app to crash while dragging some mask controls.
- Fixed an issue that caused synced edits not to be retrieve when using Masks.
- Fixed an issue that caused crop handles on the Mac to sometimes unresponsive.
Darkroom 6.0April 12 '22Read Release Post
Make Local Adjustments with Masks
Masks are a fundamental tool for photographers, and Darkroom is proud to introduce them in a powerful package, backed by AI, and designed for mobile photographers as part of Darkroom+. With masks, you can enhance the lighting in a photo or separate a subject from its background to direct the viewer’s eye, thereby telling a more compelling story.
- AI-powered masks generate a 3D map of the scene in your photo, allowing you to edit the primary subject, foreground, background, and any range in-between.
- Smart Masks intelligently single out the subject, sky, hair, glasses, skin or teeth when editing Portrait and ProRAW photos.
- Gradient & Range masks are the standard mask types and can be combined to create pixel-perfect selections that single-out an object or a region of your photo.
- Videos also support masks with realtime 4K playback, adding another tool to your storytelling tool belt.
- Copy & Paste Options allow you to select which edits you want to paste onto other photos. Now you can apply any combination of adjustments, aspect ratio, frames and masks to an entire photoshoot.